Lets be honest, you are not going to be able to sell your commercial property with a plate of warm baked cookies and glass of milk at the front door. Selling a commercial property is still about appearance just as if you were selling a residential property. You don’t need to go look for the next interior or exterior design star from HGTV, but your commercial building should be “move in ready” at the time of a potential deal.
Just like buying a home, a potential buyer for commercial real estate doesn’t want to have to worry about minor things such as landscaping or cleaning. Here are some low cost suggestions for our organization to help prepare your property for sale. Many of the suggestions will seem like common sense, but you would be surprised at how many of these are often overlooked:
When selling your commercial property here 5 things to look before you sell.
1. Landscaping: You would be surprised by the number of business who do not keep up on this throughout the year. If your property has bushes and large trees, it could be time to trim them up. It also helps if the grass looks healthy and taken care of. Depending on the urgency to sell, you might want to take this tip seriously and pay a professional to do it.
2. Windows: The first suggestion would be to replace any cracked or broken windows. The other thing to consider is the age of the property, perhaps it is due for more energy efficient windows. At least make sure they are clean, you can open them, and don’t hurt the appearance of the property.
3. Parking Lot: This might be the most overlooked aspect of a commercial property… If severely neglected it could take thousands of dollars to replace or seal it. Do not let this happen to you. A nice parking lot can say a lot about you and you how take care of your business. The last thing you want to happen is a potential buyer driving into a pot hole, when visiting the property.
4. Roof: Just like your residential property, this is one of the most important aspects of your property. Think about how you want a roof to look if you were buying the property. Fix any missing shingles or tiles, repair flashing if needed, and depending on the overall age of the roof the consideration to replace may need to be made.
5. The Exterior: You guessed it! Give that building a good ole’ power washing for a new fresh look. This could also be a good time to check them windows out! If you are in urban area, check for graffiti, and any other eye sores that could negatively effect the building.
After following a few of these suggestions you will be confident that your property looks great and will look more interesting to potential buyers. When you have put the property on the market, it is important to make the property stays looking fresh.
Have more questions about selling a commercial property? Contact us below.